Dec 16, 2009

The Appraisal Lie


I have to deal with many people in my profession whether sellers or buyers but there usually comes an issue when someone is considering selling their prized piece of real estate. This in itself is not the issue I love to what I do, I eat sleep and drink real estate, but the issue is when a seller gets a document called an appraisal, a professional opinion of worth and in this case of real estate values.
I have major issues with the way appraisals in this country are received becuase it more often than not gives people a false belief of what their real estate could reap in a sale on the open market.

One simple piece of advice, an appraisal is not Gospel. While Matt Sweeting Appraisals might be of the opinion your property is worth three hundred thousand ($300,000.00) and it very well might, you have some things to take into consdieration. You absolutely must consider that the residential mechanic shop next door, the number of unfinished buildings, the development of the neighborhood, the present economic climate and other crucial factors determine what your real esate can reasonably be sold for in the shortest space of time.
I make it a habit to ask my clients, how soon do you want to dispose of your property they usually say as soon as possible, which is a good answer. I merely ask that question to bring them to reality that if you want something sold today your price has to reflect your desire to sell. Everybody should know that the price mentioned on an appraisal always reflects a gross price meaning that if your appraisal says 300 thousand that is a gross figure with all fees included so you should expect to receive less than the worth of the property in your hand.
I hope this helps and just remember that I am Matt Sweeting and I am here to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment